Join us for "Present Tense," the ACC's 12th national conference.
We're counting down the weeks until ACC'a 12th national conference, “Present Tense,” this fall in Omaha at Kaneko, and we're so excited to share more about this incredible destination.
A group of us just returned from Omaha, and our three-day visit was jam-packed with experiences, places, and people. We connected with great cultural institutions and met a slew of lovely and enthusiastic makers, scholars, and craft appreciators. Here are a few highlights from our trip:
- Our first stop was Kaneko, where the staff members were absolutely wonderful. Michael and Andrew gave us a tour of the space, talked with us about accommodations, and shared more about the upcoming exhibition that will be open during our conference. The exhibition will highlight the Kaneko collection, as well as a few pieces from local Nebraska art collectors. Stay tuned for more details in the coming weeks.
- We hosted an ACC meet and greet for the Omaha arts community at the studio of Watie White. White’s studio was a gem, we had a phenomenal turn out, and we met some incredible folks – including Chris Hughes of Artifact Bag Co. and ACC Fellows Therman Statom and Michael James.
- At the Josyln Art Museum we saw the "Sheila Hicks: Material Voices" exhibition that is up through September 4. We're still stunned by the beauty and depth of her work and the Josyln’s exquisite display.
- We also traveled to Lincoln – which is only an hour from Omaha – and got a tour of the town from Peter Pinnell, a professor of ceramics at the University of Nebraska–Lincoln, and Michael James, chair and professor of textiles, merchandising, and fashion design.
- While in Lincoln, we also visited the International Quilt Study Center & Museum, the UNL ceramics department, the Eisentrager-Howard Gallery, the Robert Hillestad Textiles Gallery, Constellation Studios, and the Sheldon Museum of Art.
Learn more about the exciting lineup of programming we have planned for "Present Tense," and join us October 13 - 15 to experience this incredible craft community for yourself. See you in Omaha!